Ad extensions are used to provide your prospective customers with extra information, such as your business phone number, address, store rating, and additional web pages. The best way to use ad extensions is to add the most relevant information according to your business needs – it can be anything from introducing a new product or service to downloading your new mobile app. In this article, you’ll see everything you need to know about manual and automated ad extensions.
Google itself confirms that extensions improve ad visibility, increase click-through rate (CTR), and reduce cost per click (CPC) and budget spending. Funds from the budget are debited as usual: only when someone clicks on the ad. The exception? Clicks on seller reviews and ratings – they are free.
Using ad extensions are highly recommended for all advertisers using text ads. Here is all you need to know about extension types to start improving your performance:
Manual Ad Extensions
Manual ad extensions can be anything from location information to a special button for an instant call – it depends on what goal you are pursuing when adjusting your extensions of choice. This group of ad extensions needs to be up manually, keeping your business goals in mind. The following are manual extensions types:
- Location extensions,
- Call extensions,
- Callout extensions – another one line in the ad where you can specify your working hours, delivery options, or any other features of the company’s service,
- Sitelink extensions – here, you can sort out products or services by brand, type, and model or put a link to the promotions and special offers to bring the user directly to a targeting page,
- Price extensions,
- Review extensions,
- Structured snippet extensions – it is an opportunity to add a description from a long list of categories to your ad, such as models, brands, destinations, styles, and many more depending on your niche,
- App extensions.
One of the most effective and, therefore, commonly used ones is a location extension that allows you to share information to attract your local customers. There are no additional costs for using them, so adding ad extensions, for example, to your local pay per click Brisbane marketing strategy will only maximize the performance of your ads.
Recommendations by Google
Google recommends adding at least four extensions. You can choose whether to show the extension in the mobile version in the advanced settings, set it for a specific time of the day, working hours, or set the display schedule.
Ads with extensions take up more space on the search engine results page. Your ad will have more visual space that will generate more clicks, but you need to provide the most relevant information to ensure you get there. A weak message or inappropriate offer can weaken the effectiveness of the ad and its performance.
It is vital to be aware that extensions may not be shown if you have a low Ad Rank. It depends on the bid, the quality of the landing page, the relevance of the keywords you use, and the solution is to increase the bid and always keep an eye on quality indicators.
Automated Ad Extensions
Auto-showing the ad’s description is by several factors, including the presence of other extensions that are up manually. If they are more efficient by Google, automatic extensions may not be displayed. These are automated extensions types:
- Automated call extensions,
- Dynamic sitelink extensions – link to a popular offer or content on your website;
- Dynamic structured snippet extensions,
- Automated location extensions and affiliate location extensions,
- Seller rating extensions – this one provides a 5-star rating to your store based on some reliable Google review programs like Google Trusted Sources,
- Consumer rating extensions,
- Previous visits extensions,
- Dynamic callout extensions. Those make it clear to the user whether to go to the website itself or not. Whether the site content matches the user’s request.
The phone number and messages can also be an automated extension if Google adds it. The system analyzes your landing page and evaluates whether these extensions will increase the effectiveness of your ads or not.
Moreover, the system itself may generate additional links, refinement, and structured snippets based on your website’s content. They look and work the same as the manually created extensions of the same name.
Manual and Automated Ad Extensions Conclusion
Google is continuously in the dynamics, optimizing the search engine, so the top of the output gets advertising offers that contain the most relevant content. Many extensions are default, but it is better to use the manual configuration of them. Thus, you will control the information about your business that users see and make each ad unique.
You can also install as many extensions as possible. So, let Google choose the most effective combinations of them to show to your prospective clients. Using the change history report will help to see what changes in the past. Finally, optimize future extensions based on these results.
Ad extensions, both manual and automated. So, it is a free and easy-to-use tool that will help you make your offer more attractive to the user. The best part of it is the ability to adjust anyway you want it now. Change whenever you need to cover all your special offers, new products, seasonal promotions, etc. Choose what works best for your business, implement and test different ad extensions, and get high conversions!