How To Check If A Domain Name Is Available
In this guide, you'll learn how to check if a domain name is available, with the best tips & tools to search and find your web name
A domain name is an electronic address for a computer network. If there is a webpage you want to reach, you will get to it by typing the domain name into your computer. When creating a website, most people will choose a domain name that reflects the site’s subject matter. Check if a domain name is available by searching for it through any online tool. In this guide, you’ll learn how to check if a domain name is available, and the best tips to search and find your web name.
Tool To Check Available Domain Name
1&1 Domain Checker
1&1 Domain Checker is a convenient tool to check if a domain is available. Go to Domain Checker, enter your domain, and hit the ‘Check’ button. On the next page, it will show the domain name availability. If the domain is taken, it will recommend some alternative extensions and some other names. It will also show premium domains that match your desired title.
Namecheap Domain Search
Namecheap is the cheapest domain name registrar with over 8 million domains under its management. You can buy a domain as low as $0.48 from Namecheap. It offers all the new and old TLDs. In addition, the Namecheap Domain Search tool lets you find an available domain title. It also suggests alternate TLDs if the desired domain name isn’t available in this search guide.
Go to Namecheap Domain Search and enter your domain title. Then click on “Search”. In this case, the domain name is available If the address was taken, it would show “This domain isn’t available”. You can also buy other TLDs for your desired names from Namecheap to Check if a domain name is available.
Name.com Domain Search: How to Find a Web Name?
Name.com is a popular domain registrar with 1.9M domains under its management. It has a lot of extensions. It also offers other web hosting-related services.
Name.com address Search is straightforward to use. Just go to Name.com and enter your web domain. And click on ‘Search’. On the next page, it will show the availability with suggested, popular, and premium names. If the domain is unavailable, you can check for another site title from the same title.
GoDaddy Domain Name Search
GoDaddy is the world’s largest domain provider with more than 70 million domains under its management. It offers almost all types of extensions.
GoDaddy has an advanced address search tool that will help you find a domain name’s availability. It will also show you some suggestions and alternatives based on your search. Just go to GoDaddy site name Search and enter your site title. And click on the “Search” button.
This case shows that the webdomain is taken as I’ve entered my domain. It also shows the available domains for other extensions. Now let’s try with a different name. I’ve added a prefix to the title and found it available. That’s a pretty handy tool for checking name availability.
Bluehost Domain Search: How to Find a Web Name?
Bluehost is mainly a web hosting provider. It offers a free webdomain name if you buy web hosting from them. However, you can buy a name separately. It has all the popular extensions.
Bluehost Domain Search lets you check the webdomain name availability. It also shows alternate suggestions. Just enter your site title below and click on “check availability”.On the next page, it will show if the domain is available. If it’s not, Bluehost will suggest some alternate suggestions. You can see more suggestions by clicking on the “Show more suggestions..” link on how to search and find a web domain name avaliable.
If you land on the “Create Your Account” page, it means your domain is available. And if you buy hosting from them, you’ll get a free name to check if the domain is avaliable.
Instant Domain Search
Instant Search is the fastest domain search tool on the internet. starts showing the search result as you type your domain name. In addition, It shows the available webdomain names for other popular extensions. It also suggests some available names. You can see the domains for sale. Moreover, you can see the whois of the unavailable domain and make an offer. It also has a webdomain name generator tool.
Finally, the web hosting giant HostGator offers webdomain name registration services too. You can check a name availability in HostGator.
Just go to HostGator Domains and enter your desired webdomain name. In conclusion, hit the ‘Search’ button. If the webdomain name is available, it will be added to the cart automatically. If not, it will suggest some similar domain options to locate the name in this search guide.
- You can register ANY type of web domain – but it pays to choose the domain that will convey the correct impression!
- It makes no difference whether you type in upper case or lower case. The domain is NOT case-sensitive. So “widget.co.uk” is the same domain as “WIDGET.CO.UK.”
- A domain can consist of ONLY letters, numbers, and the dash (‘-‘) symbol. Spaces are not allowed. But don’t worry! This whois checker will tell you if you are using invalid characters.
- The name must have more than two characters and can be up to 63 characters long.
Checklist To Check If A Domain Name Is Available
- Identify Your Desired Domain Name: Before checking if a domain name is available, you must decide on the name you’d like to use. Make sure it aligns with your brand or the subject of your website.
- Use A Trusted Domain Registrar: Go to a well-known domain registrar like GoDaddy, Bluehost, or Namecheap. These platforms provide easy-to-use search tools to check domain availability.
- Enter the Domain Name: Type the desired domain name into the search bar of the registrar’s website. Include the extension you’re interested in, such as .com, .net, or .org.
- Analyze the Results: If the domain name is available, you’ll see an option to purchase it. If not, the tool will often suggest similar available names.
- Consider Alternative Extensions: If your desired .com is taken, consider alternative extensions like .net, .org, .biz, or even geo-specific ones like .uk or .ca.
- Look into Auctions or Marketplace: If the domain name is taken, some registrars offer an option to buy it from the current owner or bid on it if it’s up for auction.
- Evaluate Legal Considerations: Ensure the domain name doesn’t infringe on trademarks or copyrights.
- Double-Check with WHOIS Lookup: If you want a more comprehensive check, use a WHOIS lookup service. This tool will provide detailed information about the domain’s current status and ownership.
- Choose a Hosting Plan if Needed: Many registrars offer hosting plans, so consider choosing one that fits your needs once you’ve found your domain.
- Register the Domain: If the domain is available and fits all your criteria, follow the prompts to register it.
- Consider Privacy Protection: Many registrars offer privacy protection services to keep your personal information private. This might be a wise addition to your domain registration.