Often novice webmasters are faced with the question of how to embed videos in WordPress. There are many tutorial articles on how to add video clips to your blog, but this article includes only the most practical and useful tips. We have gathered the most necessary information in this article.
A lot of webmasters put a video at the end of the article. These videos are always about the topic of the article. Videos in a blog post are necessary for both in-depth disclosure of the topic and attraction of traffic from the internet. Researches show that users spend 88% more time on a website that contains a video. It generates 1200% more shares than images and text combined. Some experts even suggest that 82% of internet traffic will be generated by video in 2021.
The pros of inserting a video clip in WordPress:
- When users finish reading the article, they will see a video with an attractive title. If the video is interesting, they will stay on the blog longer, and that’s a big plus for the site.
- After reading about a topic, some people want to relax. Interesting videos come to the rescue.
- When readers are having a hard time absorbing what’s written, they will be better off watching a video on the same topic.
- Videos can attract additional traffic from the search engines. Moreover, blog posts with embedded videos are ranked in the search engines higher than posts without them.
How to insert video clips in WordPress?
WordPress does not support all video formats to embed, so you will need to convert to a supported format. The media file library of WordPress supports only major video file formats:
So it is not possible to insert a video in a format that is not popular. If your video format is not supported, it can be converted using a special video converter. To add a WordPress video to your site material as a file, do the following:
- Select a video insertion location.
- Use the “Add Media File” button.
- Choose the “Upload Files” method.
- Upload your video by taking it from your computer.
- If you need to give your video a description, you can easily make it.
How to insert video from YouTube or Vimeo?
A popular way to upload a video file to the WordPress site is to pre-post it to video hosting services. Dailymotion, Imgur, or any other service may be such an alternative. You can upload your video as well as paste one of the ones that are already there.
To embed videos from hosting services, do the following:
- Upload your material to the video hosting or choose the desired video there.
- Copy the link of the video with the help of which it will be inserted.
- Go back to your site and create a new entry or page.
- Insert this link into the “Text” tab.
- Click “Publish”.
That’s all, the video material is successfully placed on your site. The disadvantage of this method is that you can not influence the size of the video. There is also another way to insert videos from YouTube. For it, you need to:
- Open the video you want to publish.
- Click on the “Share” link below it and then click on the “HTML code” tab.
- Copy and paste a snippet of clip code and paste it into your site.
- You can also click on the “More” button and specify additional settings.
Using this method you can set the video size, enable or disable the display of similar videos after the end of the video, disable or enable the video control panel and video title, etc. So, security purposes, WordPress developers have created a whitelist of video hosting services. The most popular are:
How to insert embed video in the header of a WordPress site?
New trends have created a fashion to insert a video into the header of the site. The result is beautiful, but only if the video in the header does not kill the loading speed of the site. If your theme doesn’t have an option in the theme settings to insert a video into the header, do the following:
- Download the stock video to your computer.
- Compress it so as not to lose quality, although there is little need in the header.
- Go to the directory of plugins and. Moreover, with the help of the phrase “for background videos”, choose a suitable plugin. For example, mb.YTPlayer is very convenient for background videos.
- Use the plugin and you will have the video in your header.
Video in the header of the WordPress site – an interesting trend, but use it wisely. Why do you need a header video if it’s slowing the site down too much? Moreover, low site speed negatively affects its ranking in search engines. In this case, it is better to use a picture, but if you really need a video – try to compress it as much as possible. But don’t forget that it must remain of acceptable quality to look nice.
How to Embed Video in WordPress Conclusion
Of course to insert a video clip you can use one of the many plugins for WordPress, but if you just need to add a clip without any changes, there is no need for this.
First of all, you’re burdening your site with an additional plugin. So, this automatically slows down the speed of the WordPress site and negatively affects the position of the site in search engines.
Secondly, you’ll spend a lot of time installing and configuring the plugin instead of just copying a link or code or uploading a media file.
So choose one of the video insertion methods discussed in this article and feel free to use it. It’s hard to say which one is better. It all depends on what you want to get in the end and the peculiarities of your hosting.