How To Find Your Blog Niche
In this article, we'll share how to find and choose your blog niche, in addition to the best tips to pick & validate a profitable topic
You may not realize it, but your blog niche plays a huge role in your blog’s success. Once it helps you determine who your audience is, which blog post ideas to focus on and which products you need to create. In this article, we’ll share how to find and choose your blog niche, in addition to the best tips to pick & validate a profitable topic.
Most importantly, find a blog niche help you in maintain focus as you plan out your editorial schedule and overall business and marketing strategies.
Blog Niche Scope
The most common mistake I see beginning bloggers make is choosing a blog niche that is too broad. I don’t why it is. But as beginning bloggers, we all have a terrible fear of going too narrow.
But surely, the broader my focus the better? Doesn’t that mean I’ll get more visitors to my website? Not at all. In fact, quite the opposite!
The broader your blog niche, the longer it will take you to get search engine traffic to your website. Why? Because it’s much easier to rank for a long-tail keyword than it is for a ‘head’ keyword to find your blog niche.
Here’s an example: It would take you years to rank for the keyword ‘SEO’. It might not even be possible. However ‘SEO for real estate agents’?
My guess is you could rank for that quite quickly. Here’s another example: It would take forever to get on Page #1 of Google for ‘parenting tips’. But what about ‘parenting tips for single dads’? You could rank for that keyword in half the time.
Why Some Blogs Don’t Succeed?
And that’s why most beginning bloggers give up: They pick a too broad topic. Don’t get any traction with the search engines within their first year. Get discouraged. They give up. In this article, we’ll share how to find and choose your blog niche, in addition to the best tips to pick & validate a profitable topic.
Narrow Blog Niches?
But it’s not only the search engines that prefer narrow blog niches. A narrowly-defined niche works better with humans as well. A parent who lands on a website that specializes in ‘parenting tips’ won’t necessarily feel a strong bond with that website.
But a single father who lands on a website that specializes in parenting tips for single dads will immediately feel a bond with your content. He says to himself: “This is me, this is what I was looking for”.
What Is a Blog Niche and How To Find One?
Very simply, a blogging niche is a niche that appeals to a subset of a broader market. Niche blog involves creating a blog with the purpose of catering to a particular niche market. Niche blogs or niche websites as they are sometimes called, cater to a specific area. The genre covered can be a particular geographical area, a particular ethnicity, or a particular industry to pick & validate a blog niche.
A Blog Topic You Enjoy Talking About
Starting a blog is a really fun process. Buying domains, setting up the website, customizing the design and writing your first article is certainly an exciting experience. But, most people give up blogging after a couple of months because they often lose interest in it. So, it’s important that you pick a topic for your blog that you also like to learn and talk about to find your blog niche.
A blog niche could be about a hobby, or your work, or it could even be about a new RV you’ve just bought. You don’t have to be an expert on this topic. It just has to be a topic that gets you excited when talking about it. How do you make sure you pick an interesting topic to blog about?
Here’s a quick test to figure that out. Take a pen and paper. Write down 10 blog post ideas just off the top of your head that you can write about. This exercise should help ensure that you are passionate about the topic you picked.
Extra Tips on How to Choose a Profitable Blog Niche
- Stay Flexible: Stay open to adjusting your niche over time. As you gain insights and experience, you may want to pivot your focus slightly to align better with your audience’s needs and changing trends.
- Be Authentic: Ultimately, be true to yourself and your audience. Authenticity builds trust and strengthens your bond with readers. Showcase your personality, opinions, and experiences to create a genuine connection to find your blog niche.
- Differentiation: Find a unique angle or perspective to set your blog apart. Differentiation helps attract a loyal audience and establishes your blog as a go-to resource.
- Long-Term Viability: Consider the long-term viability of your chosen niche. Ensure that it has enough depth and scope for you to create valuable content for years consistently.
- Analyze Competitors: Study successful blogs within your potential niches to understand what works. Analyze their content, audience engagement, and monetization strategies to refine your approach.
- Keyword Research: Use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Ubersuggest to identify relevant keywords with decent search volumes. Incorporate these keywords naturally into your content for better SEO.
- Test the Waters: Before committing fully, test a few topics within your potential niche. Create a few blog posts and observe the response from your audience. This will help you gauge interest and make informed decisions.