Search engine optimization or SEO involves optimizing your website to ensure that it shows up for the right search results. When you’re just starting out with a business website, it’s easy to get overloaded with all the SEO advice available online. Determining which ones to implement and which ones to disregard is crucial. Here are some of the key ways to boost local SEO for your community business:
Boost Local SEO
1 – Understand your audience and user behavior
One of the first things that you need to do is to understand your target audience. This requires more than just knowing about their demographics. You also need to understand their intent and behavior.
Remember that it doesn’t matter if your website is perfectly optimized or if you’re regularly publishing high-quality content. If your efforts aren’t geared towards the right audience, they won’t do anything for your community business.
2 – Invest in the technical side of SEO
Because of the increasing complexity of websites these days, website owners like you need to start investing in the technical side of SEO. Some of the crucial areas of focus include the following:
- Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) – PWAs are web applications that load as typical websites or pages. However, they deliver to the user a mobile or app experience. Although PWAs are still moderately being used in web development, you need to think about eventually transitioning your site as a PWA in the future.
- Speed – There is a rising trend towards creating websites that are faster and simpler, especially because search engines are rewarding sites that prioritize speed. Some simple fixes include compressing and optimizing your images, as well as limiting plugin use for your site.
If you’re not sure where to start or what to prioritize, you can always enlist the help of an SEO expert to guide you and help ensure that you’re up-to-date with the new developments in this aspect of SEO.
3 – Focus on quality content
In recent years, Google and other search engines have shifted their focus into assessing the quality, breadth, and depth of a website’s content. Search engines are rewarding sites that offer excellent content in terms of these criteria with higher rankings. In contrast, sites that publish weaker content ranked lower.
This means that if you’re only putting out content for the sake of updating your website, you might want to rethink your strategy. Some effective, but low-cost techniques that you can try out are the following:
- You will most likely be better off slowing down blog post frequency and focusing instead on creating content that provides a solution, inspires people, and motivates them into action.
- Optimize your titles and headings as well. Remember that titles carry a lot of weight for search engines, to ensure that they include your keywords.
- Try tapping into the potential of video content. In fact, experts are predicting that by 2022, videos will be responsible for 80% of all online traffic.
4 – Install an SSL certificate
With cybercrime being a persistent concern for business owners and consumers alike, you should focus on ensuring the security of your website and the privacy of your users. Since you have a business website, your visitors will most likely be sharing sensitive data while they are at your site.
Installing an SSL certificate is a cost-effective solution that will pay for itself in the long run. Another thing to remember is that since 2014, SSL is considered as a crucial ranking factor. Furthermore, be careful since migrating to HTTPS can create terrible SEO problems.
5 – Take advantage of social media
Even if you’re only active on one or two platforms, it’s a good idea to sign up for as many as possible. Remember that your social media page is a cost-effective backlink tactic that can net you several initial backlinks to your site.
You do not have to limit yourself to the biggest ones such as YouTube or Facebook. You can also explore other niche platforms like Yelp or Soundcloud. Remember to regularly engage with your followers to ensure the effectiveness of the links on your profile.
Your pages and posts on your website should also be relevant and shareable. Viral content will get your website more traffic.
It can be difficult to keep up with the changes in the SEO algorithm since search engines like Google often make hundreds of changes every year. Some techniques that worked a couple of years ago may do nothing for your now. A common thread, however, to all these SEO strategies is creating a better user experience.